DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE IN NIGERIA???

05:15:00

Do you believe in Nigeria?

As you read this, I am in one of Nigeria’s prestigious University, 
Sitting at the right side of a post-graduate room 
At the right wing of a post-graduate hall listening with my left ear. 
It’s a conglomerate of post-graduate students
Who should be reading, 
As with the sadly and truly standard of power,
 There’s no light so they are vainly ‘gisting’. 
The door keeps oscillating creakily about its hinges
With slams and bangs as some walk in and out of the room;
Nonetheless, numerically, we are not less than half a dozen.
Guess what the conversation about? Nigeria!
I can hardly hear anything outside this frenzied noise 
And what I can make of all these 
Is the question “is there hope for Nigeria?”, or should I say, “…Nigerians!”
The religious soppiness, tribal brawls, partisan interests,
Societal compulsions, et al, which surrounds 
Their various opinion storms my mental sanity- badly! 
The rowdy communique loosely projects that they do NOT belief in Nigeria (which is actually no problem) 
I’m only left to wonder why they pay this serious sacrifices 
Of dillydallying in the squally experiences 
Of ‘school’ without a hope of tomorrow, 
Not even a validity in the unseen credentials 
That keeps them reading under faints shadows 
Of phone torchlight within mosquito infested rooms. 
I truly agree with them that Nigeria is in a bad, no, scratch that, in a very bad shape.
I cannot write beyond this point (I don’t wish too either), 
But then, do you believe in Nigeria?
SEYIFUNMI Adebote

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Comment

Subscribe