GRADUATES SHOULDN'T WAIT FOR JOBS

09:15:00

The Chief Executive Officer, Funclub Enterprise, Mr.
Airemen Solomon, 29, spoke to OKECHUKWU
NNODIM on the survival strategies for small
businesses in a harsh economy
 What kind of business do you do at Funclub?
We are into importation of luxury, casual and
fashion watches and accessories. I distribute to
wholesalers, super markets, boutiques, among
others, across the country at cheap prices. I also
deliver to retailers. I’m also working on
inaugurating an online web platform for direct
online sales soon. This initiative was conceived
based on the fact that online sale is currently
taking over physical transactions world over.
What inspired the business name, Funclub?
I chose this business name because I was a
teenager when I started a video game centre with
the name. My peers branded me with the business
name. They also referred to virtually everything I
do by my business name. So, I decided to continue
with it and it has been one name that distinguishes
me from others who are in the same line of
business. The name Funclub is dear to me and it is
a brand identity which I cherish.
What motivated you to go into this line business?
I always tell people in business and in life to do
what they like. This is because when you go for a
job that you are passionate about, you will enjoy
doing it anytime. From my teenage days up till
date, I have always engaged in business activities
that appear like ‘play’ to me. To cut it short, I’m a
watch freak. That was what motivated me. People
should be involved in businesses that they enjoy
doing. This will make you want to always work and
by so doing, you will realise that you are making
money with ease.
When you make money with ease and enjoy your
job, you won’t drag your feet in the morning to
work. You will be energised always because you
see your job as another source of fun that brings
money to you. I like watches a lot. Whatever
business I do, I do it because I have a personal
attachment to it. And this has been such a huge
driving force and I’m encouraged to continue in
this line of business because I like what I am
doing. I am passionate about it. So, when people
do what they like, they won’t complain much about
it.
How long have you been in this business?
This is my fourth line of business; and I started it
in the early months of 2012.
Who are your clients and how do you get them?
My major clients are owners of supermarkets and
boutiques. I also deliver goods to housewives who
engage in the selling of fashion items. I also see
the other members of the general public as my
customers, especially in the retail segment. I get
my clients through contracts, personal marketing,
and online marketing and from Nigerian forums
such as nairaland.com.
I encourage fresh graduates who are in
businesses to take advantage of online marketing
as this will boost their performance and improve
their turnover.
Do you need so much money to start this kind of
business?
Not really, but if you want to go into a large scale
import, you will need to have some thousands of
dollars and above. It really depends on what goods
you are buying and in what quantity. But you
should not be discouraged as a starter.
Discouragement should not be allowed if you must
succeed in this line of trade. The important thing is
to get the adequate skills and know how to satisfy
the demands of your clients. For instance, a Tag
Heuer wristwatch can cost about N450,000. And
this is just one wristwatch. But some clients may
need it and it depends on your capacity. Also, an
entrepreneur can decide to supply only rubber
watches to children. In this case, it is possible for
one to supply 100 pieces for N20,000. So, the size
of your business depends a lot on some factors
which you will have to consider before venturing
into it.
Will you advise fresh graduates to go into this kind
of business?
Sure! They should not wait for the jobs that are not
forth coming. If you have a good capital, please do.
There is no need to waste time waiting when you
have the financial wherewithal to start this kind of
business.
Do you need government’s support to succeed as
an entrepreneur?
If it comes, I will take it; but I won’t crumble
without it. I’m a survivor of all conditions. But
government support will surely boost my business.
So, government support is necessary, but without
it, one can definitely survive.
What are the common challenges you face?
Life itself is full of challenges. I face a lot of
challenges. For example, my shop was robbed
recently. This, therefore, shows that insecurity is a
big challenge. It can sweep away in one day what
you have laboured for in many years. Also, debts
which may slow down your turnover could be a
challenge in this business. Sometimes, shipping
goods down to Nigeria or to a desired location may
be difficult. Also, time differences between the
United States and Nigeria, as well as China and
Nigeria give us some sleepless nights. But in all,
challenges are what make us real business people
better; they wax entrepreneurs stronger in their
businesses every day.
How do you confront them?
I take them as they come, and hope for the best. It
is not always easy, but with persistence, you will
conquer. However, different entrepreneurs adopt
different strategies in order to achieve success.
So, it all depends on the entrepreneur.
Is the Nigerian business environment favourable
for small businesses?
It is tough but interesting. You have to be
persistent and have a ‘Never-say-never’
mentality. And I believe if you can make it in
Nigeria, you can make it anywhere. Young
entrepreneurs must not allow the challenging
operating environment deter them in their
businesses. To succeed, you must learn to
persevere in business.
Copyright PUNCH.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Comment

Subscribe