COPING WITHOUT OKADA IN LAGOS BY DR AMINU LEKAN

17:13:00

Dr Aminu Lekan




COPING WITHOUT OKADA IN LAGOS
     My legs can never forget that song...that one that made Wizkid a star. Chai! I sang that song to the point that Wizkid nearly knew me. My mouth kept singing it and my legs kept having faith that one day, it will happen. Yet despite how I sang "when you see me drive by, holla at your boy..." I'm still trecking! Every two months I buy new shoes because the road of Lasgidi is not smiling at all. If not for Danfo, correct Bajaj okada and the senior brother of okada...Maruwa, the map of Lagos roads will have been tatooed beneath my foot.
Still, Danfo, Moluwe, Yellow buses, Maruwa...all of them have made me miss several interviews. "Early to bed, early to rise" I even added early to leave the house to it but still...I don't blame them! What can they do when they come face to face with every Nigerians nightmare? The only thing that can make The Nigerian Police scream with their sirens and make a vegetarian eat Gala and wash it down with Lacasera...Traffic Jam a.k.a Nigerian Red Sea.
But even the Egyptians walked through the Red sea so why won't we? The same way He blessed Moses with the rod, He blessed us with Okada in different brands...Bajaj, Suzuki, Qlink, Yamaha...e.t.c Dear Lord I thank you!
I was busy dulling myself with BRT and yellow buses but now, Yoruba's don't carry last anymore. The last interview I had, the Nigerian Red Sea was impossible to cross by bus but, all things are possible with Okada. I got there in time and on time with the natural air conditioner blowing by fear away. I got the job! Now, the only way I can get to work early enough is on okada. I'm sure you agree with me too, the fastest way to get to your work place is by okada.
The other day, they had to park his car at Ikeja because he was late for his wedding. Lasgidi traffic refused to pave way and wanted to move his Honey Moon forward but has a sharp Lagosian, he hopped on a fast okada down to church. I'm talking about him...you know him but I can't say his name because he confided in me ...his okada man. That was way back though. I took him straight to church. Imagine, a man forming royal on his wedding day on okada!
On and on like that, okada has saved us from embarrasements and even death. I can't forget how a pregnant woman whose labour room was almost on the road was carried to the hospital on okada. That was the fastest way! Or should they have waited for a bus which would first be filled up by other passengers otherwise no movement? Or they should have joined the queue for the BRT bus? So you see, okada will always be important especially in a city as busy as Lagos. Not to mention the fact that without them, we will be buying shoes every two months depending on how far you have to treck because commercial buses can't take us into our bedrooms but on okada, you can even enter your wardrobe as long as you have ego a.k.a owo a.k.a kudi...money for short.
But now, BRF has put sand in my garri! I don't ride okada anymore on his territory. The worst part is that I thought I would one day represent Nigeria in a cycle race...all my dream dashed! They say " chase your dream" so I'm on Legedis Benz hoping one day I would catch it. The way I treck now, only cows from the north can treck like that and since I don't have my ride yet I have no choice. So, when you see me treck by, holla at your boy too.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Comment

Subscribe